Recommended Practices for Background Screening
INA recommends placement agencies and/or parents:
- Verify and authenticate a nanny candidate’s identity to ensure that the candidate is using real and accurate information about his or her own identity.
- Verify employment and educational history and applicable credentials and licenses.
- Perform state and county criminal record searches for every jurisdiction where the candidate has worked and lived, using any and all names the candidate has used, for at least the past seven years, depending upon applicable state laws.
- Perform a sex offender registry search for all 50 states, D.C., Puerto Rico and Guam.
- Review the candidate’s driving record.
- Comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and all other applicable local, state and federal laws.
- Perform periodic updating of background screenings for all placed nannies and nannies who provide temporary services.
In addition to these screenings, agencies and/or parents may wish to consider obtaining a credit report as well as conducting a civil records search to expose lawsuits, liens and judgments.