INA Nanny Credential Exam
The INA Nanny Credential Exam is a 90 question multiple choice timed exam that is available to be taken online. The exam is designed to test a nanny’s practical knowledge of child care. A proctor must be secured by the exam candidate to administer the exam prior to testing. The exam addresses:
- Child Development
- Family/Provider Communication
- Child Guidance
- Multicultural/Diversity Awareness
- Learning Environment
- Personal Qualities of a Nanny
- Management Skills Health
Because the exam is challenging, it is strongly recommended that anyone sitting for the exam has a minimum of 2000 hours of (the equivalent of 1 year, full-time) professional in-home child care experience. Those sitting for the exam must have a current certification in Infant/Child CPR and First Aid and photo identification. There is a charge for taking the exam, with a discount offered to INA members.
Please be aware of the following steps to be completed prior to sitting for the exam:
1. Complete an exam application, providing the requested documentation and Proctor information.
2. Submit the completed application to the INA Office via email, fax or USPS.
3. Processing times for all applications:
- 1-2 weeks for applications submitted via email
- 2-3 weeks for applications submitted via USPS
4. When choosing an exam date, a nanny should keep in mind the above processing times, and choose 2-3 alternate dates.
5. Upon receipt of a nanny’s completed application, the INA Office will contact the nanny’s selected Proctor and confirm their participation.
NOTE: A nanny’s Proctor must be someone who cannot benefit from a nanny completing the exam, and they must have taken an oath of ethics, i.e. lawyer, librarian, clergy, teacher, etc. And it cannot be anyone from a nanny placement agency or a nanny’s spouse.
6. Twenty-four hours prior to the exam date, the INA Office will send the exam link via email to the nanny’s Proctor and who will administer the test. Once the link has been accessed, time will begin and it cannot be accessed again. The exam must be completed in one sitting.
A nanny will see her/his exam score as soon as the exam is submitted. Complete information about the nanny’s exam results will be sent to INA automatically. All nannies who pass the exam (Score 70% or better) will receive a certificate in the mail. Once a nanny passed the exam, she/he will be considered an INA Credentialed Nanny and will be identified on the INA member list as such.
If a nanny does not receive a passing grade on the exam, an opportunity to retest will be provided, but no sooner than six months from the date of the first attempt. Candidates must reapply and pay another testing fee. The exam will not be identical to the first one.
The International Nanny Association has published Beyond Parenting Basics: The International Nanny Association’s Guide to In-Home Child Care. This book is an appropriate study guide for those who wish to take the International Nanny Association’s Nanny Credential Exam to become an INA Credentialed Nanny. Beyond Parenting Basics is available for purchase here.
There is a charge for taking the exam, with a discount offered to INA members.
View a list of INA Credentialed nannies